Although you can view and work with presentations that have been created in previous versions of PowerPoint, you may get improved performance and additional perks if you convert your older presentations to the PowerPoint 2010 (.pptx) file format.
When not converted, some features in your presentations, such as some Ribbon commands, may be disabled because some or all of your presentation content was created in a previous version that did not support those features.
If you would like to use all of PowerPoint 2010 features in your presentation, convert it! Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Click the File tab on your Ribbon.
- On the Info tab, click Convert.
- The Convert command will only appear if at least of of the conditions below is met:
- The presentation was created or saved in an earlier PowerPoint (.ppt) file format.
- The presentation contains one or more diagrams or charts created in PowerPoint 2007 or earlier.
- The presentation contains media objects. such as audio or video clips, created or inserted using PowerPoint 2007.
- If the Convert command does not appear, the presentation is up to date in PowerPoint 2010.
- After converting, you are prompted to save the converted presentation. The original presentation is not deleted. If the original is a PowerPoint 2007 presentation (.pptx), it is overwritten if you give the converted presentation the same file name and extension.