As I promised in an earlier post, today I will show you how to create your very own custom Quick Part!
I think maybe the most useful part of Quick Parts, is the ability to create your own, that is tailored specifically to your own AutoText. Suppose you send out many invitations and would like to save your address and the recipients controls and date in one Quick Part.
Go ahead and design your Quick Part.
Now to save it to the Quick Parts gallery, follow the steps below:
- Exit out of design mode and check to be certain that your text appears exactly the way you want:
- Select the portion of your text that you would like to create as your Quick Part AutoText.
- Go to your Insert tab, click on Quick Parts and select Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery.
- In the Create New Building Block window, name your Quick Part.
- Select the gallery where you would like to save your Quick Part.
- You can create categories for your Quick Parts besides General if you think you will be making many Quick Parts
- Make sure you give your Quick Part an intuitive description that will help you remember what the Quick Part is and the reason you created it.
- Select which template to which you would like to save your Quick Part.
- Next, select the options that you would like for your content. For AutoText, more than likely you will be selecting the Insert content only option, buy you can also decide to insert your content as its own paragraph or even its own page!
- Lastly, click on OK to save your options and and create your Quick Part.
Quick parts are a wonderful way to save time for short documents where snippets of your document are reused. If you have more than just a little piece of text that is reusable, you should consider making or modifying a template. Still and all, if the text is something you know you will be using again, taking a few extra minutes to save your text and make it reusable will save you lots of time down the road.