Some folks who are working on really long documents, store different parts of the document in different file and when they do this, and are ready to print the document they clearly do not want the line numbering to restart on every file right?
So, in order to avoid this you need to adjust the starting line number for your document.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Display the Page layout tab of your Ribbon.
- In the Page Setup group, click the Line Numbers tool.
- Select Line Numbering Options to display the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog box.
- Click on the Line Numbers button to display that dialog box.
- Adjust the starting line number by changing the number in the Start At box.
- Change the line number increment value (Count By) if you like.
- Click on OK to close the Line Numbers dialog box.
- Click on OK to close the Page Setup dialog box.