Ever have a need to align numbers in a table based on decimal points? I know a lot of folks think this is not possible and then they drive themselves batty trying to space things so that the decimal points in their numbers line up.
The good news is that you CAN align your text based on a specific character such as the decimal point. Even better news is that it is completely easy to do and a quick fix!
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- First, be sure that the column of your table where your text with decimal points will be keyed in is set to left align in your Paragraph options.
- Go ahead and key in the figures in your table.
- As you can see the figures in the screenshot below are not decimal aligned.
- Select the cells or columns that have decimals.
- Now, even though you have not touched your Tab key, click on the small arrow at the bottom left of the Paragraph group on your Ribbon to open the dialog box.
- At the lower left, click on Tabs, which will then show you different options.
- Select Decimal and click on your Ruler to set the position.
- Click Set.
- Click OK.
Now look at your table and you will see that your numbers are all decimal aligned now.
It is a quick and easy game changer is it not?