As I am sure you know, there are instances where we need to align the decimal points in a column of one of our worksheets.
Luckily, this is fairly easy to accomplish using the Format Cells function.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Select the column of numbers which you would like decimal aligned.
- Right-click and select Format Cells from the context menu that will display.
- In the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, select Custom.
- Key in 0.???? into the Type box. That is a zero (the number), not the letter.
- Take note that the question mark (?) is for the number of your decimal digits. If the highest decimal place is 5, you will enter five question marks.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
The numbers you selected in the column will now align on the decimal point for left, center and right alignment.
Be advised that if your data contains whole numbers, they will have a dot added afterward.