As you have learned in previous issues, Word will allow us to add line numbers to our documents. But once you add those line numbers, are you able to format them differently than the default?
The short answer is yes! Word makes it fairly simply to change the formatting of your line numbers. I am always telling my clients to learn to use Styles because it makes your Word life so much easier and this is a perfect example of that ease.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Display the Home tab of your Ribbon.
- In the Styles group, click the small icon at the bottom right to display the Styles pane at the right-hand side of your desktop.
- Hover your cursor over the Line Number Style and note that a downward pointing arrow has appeared.
- If the Line Number style is not visible to you, use the Options button at the bottom of your Style pane to display All Styles.
- Click on the little arrow pointing downward and select the Modify option from the drop-down menu. Click on Format and select the portion of the style you would like to modify..Click OK to save the modifications you have made
- Close the Style pane