Quick Steps made it’s debut in Outlook 2010 and it’s pretty cool. Quick Steps will apply multiple actions at the same time to e-mail messages!
The import is that Quick Steps allows you to quickly manage your inbox (i.e., if you find that you frequently move messages to a certain folder, you can use a Quick Step to move it in one click, or forward messages to our boss or colleagues in one click)!
There are default Quick Steps, but you can customize any or all of them if you like. You can also create your own to make a Quick Steps Gallery of mail actions that you use most often!
Some of the Default Quick steps in Outlook are listed below:
Move to – Moves the selected message to a mail folder that you specify and marks the message as read.
To Manager – Forwards the message to your manager. If you company uses Microsoft Exchange Server, your manager’s name is detected in the Global Address List and inserted in the To box, or you can manually specify the recipient.
Team E-mail – Forwards the message to others in your team. If your company uses Microsoft Exchange Manager, team members names will be detected in the Global Address List and inserted in to To box.
Done – Moves the message to a specified mail folder, marks the message as Complete and then marks it as Read.
Reply & Delete – Opens a reply to the selected message and deletes the original message.
Create New – Create your own Quick Step to execute any sequence of commands, name it, and apply an icon that is intuitive to you.
Should you want to modify one of the existing Quick steps, follow the steps below:
- On the Home tab of your Ribbon, in the Quick Steps group, click the More arrow at the side of the Quick Steps box and click Manage Quick Steps.
- In the Quick Steps box, click the Quick Step that you want to change and click Modify.
- Under Actions, modify or add the actions that you would like included in this Quick Step.
- If you like, in the Shortcut key box, click a keyboard shortcut that you would like to assign to your Quick Step.
- If you would like to change the icon for a Quick Step, click an icon next to the Name box, click an icon and click OK.
You should now be ready to create your own Quick Step! Follow the steps below to learn how:
- On the Home tab of your Ribbon, in the Quick Steps group, in the Quick Steps gallery, click Create New Quick Step.
- Click an action type from the list or click Custom.
- In the Name box, key in a name for your new Quick Step.
- Click the icon next to the Name box, click an icon and then OK.
- Under Actions, select an action that you would like your for your Quick Step.
- Click Add Action for any additional actions you might like to include in your Quick Step.
- To create a keyboard shortcut, in the Shortcut Key box, click the keyboard shortcut you would like to assign it.
Your new Quick Steps will appear at the top of the gallery on the Home tab in the Quick Steps group.
Any Quick Steps you may have modified will stay in the same location in the gallery, but you can, if you like, rearrange them in the Manage Quick Steps area.