Word allows you to automatically number items in your documents. You can automatically number figures, tables or illustrations. Should you reorder these items at a later date, Word will automatically update the numbers to that they are in the correct order.
Follow the steps below to learn how to sequentially number items in your document:
- Position your cursor where you want the sequential numbers to appear.
- Click Ctrl + F9 to insert field brackets. Take care that your cursor stays between the brackets.
- Please note that manually inserting the brackets will not work.
- Key in seq followed by the name of the element. The name can be whatever you like but should be consistent for each item in the sequence.
- Click F9 to update the field information.
Word will replace the field with the next number in the sequence you have specified.