If you have to sort your data based on the color of your cell or the color of the text within a cell, this tip is for you. Excel makes it very easy for you to accomplish this task.
You can sort the data in your Excel worksheets by many attributes and one of those attributes is color and it will allow you to sort by the color of the cell and the color of the text within the cell.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Select the data you would like to sort or select a cell within the data you would like to sort.
- Display the Data tab of the Ribbon.
- Click the Sort tool which is found in the Sort & Filter group.
A dialog box will be displayed.
- Using the drop-down list in the Sort On column, select either Cell Color or Font Color, depending upon which you would like to use in your sort.
- Using the drop-down list in the Order column, select the color by which you would like to sort. MS Excel will allow you to sort by any color within the range to be sorted.
- Using the second drop-down list in the Order column, specify whether the color you selected in the step above should be on top or bottom.
- If you want to also sort by other colors, click the Add Level button and repeat the steps above for the additional level.
- Click OK.
Your data should now be sorted to the specifications you selected.