When you have a very long footnote that will not fit in the space allocated for footnotes on your current page, Word will automatically continue your footnote on the following page. When this occurs, you can specify that Word use a different footnote separator to indicate that the footnotes are a continuation from the previous page.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Be certain you are working in Draft view by displaying the View tab of your Ribbon and in the Views group, click Draft.
- Display the References tab of your Ribbon.
- Click Show Notes.
- If you have both footnotes and endnotes in your document Word will display the Show Notes dialog box.
- Click on the View Footnote Area radio button.
- Click OK.
- Using the Footnotes drop-down list at the top of the Footnotes window, select Footnote Continuation Separator. The current separator will appear in the window.
- Change or delete the separator, as you wish.
When you are finished changing or deleting the appearance of the separator, click Close.