Every time you save a document in Word, the information in the document properties is updated. Part of this enumeration is a count of how many instances the file has been saved. This is called the revision number. You can insert the revision number in your documents and have it updated automatically, if you so like.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Place your cursor where you would like your revision number to appear.
- Display the Insert tab of the ribbon.
- In the Text group, click the Quick Parts tool and then select Field. Word to display the Field dialog box.
- In the Categories list, select Numbering. Word will update
- the choices in the Field Names list.
- In the Field Names list choose RevNum.
- Click on OK to close the dialog box and insert your field.