Suppose you have a folder containing two or three hundred Word documents. If you are like me, that is not such a fantastic amount.
In any event, suppose also that you would like to print a list of those documents and the page count for each of them.
I never knew how to do this, but I recently learned how from my good friend Allen Wyatt and now I will share that knowledge with you!
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- The first step is to close Word. That is correct – close it. This will be accomplished in Windows instead of Word.
- Use Windows Explorer (Windows 7) or File Explorer (Windows 8) to display the folder containing your Word documents.
- If you are using Windows 7, use the View drop-down list to select Details.
- If you are using Windows 8, on the View tab of your Ribbon, in the Layout group, select Details.
- You should now see the document files listed in a table, using columns with the headings Name, Size, Item Type, etc.
- Right-click in the heading area to display a Context menu showing various columns that can be displayed.
- Select the More option to display the Choose Details dialog box.
- Scroll through the list of available details and be certain the Pages check box is selected.
- Click OK.
The dialog box should close and a Pages column will now appear for the files in your folder.
Note that these steps will change the view details for only the current folder. If you would like to change the view for all your folders, then you should perform the following steps immediately after having done the previous steps:
- Display the Folder Options dialog box.
- In Windows 7 click the Organize drop-down box.
- Select Folder and Search Options.
- In Windows 8, display the View tab of your Ribbon and then click the Options tool.
- Be certain the View tab is displayed.
- Click Apply to Folders. You will be asked if you want to modify the display of all your folders.
- Click Yes.
- Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog.
Once you have modified the view to include page counts (or anything else) you may need to close the Explorer window and reopen it to be certain you can see all the information you had requested.